- A procedure for identifying specific sequences of DNA, in which fragments separated on a gel are transferred directly to a second medium on which assay by hybridization may be carried out.More example sentences
- Standard techniques were used for DNA cloning, restriction enzyme digestion, Southern blot analysis, and DNA sequencing.
- The assay is similar to the Southern blot except that restriction enzyme digestion and denaturation of the mRNA are not needed.
- In Southern blots, DNA is cut with restriction enzymes then separated.
late 20th century: named after Edwin M. Southern (born 1938), British biochemist.
More definitions of Southern blotDefinition of Southern blot in:
- The US English dictionary