noun[mass noun] Music
- A style of dramatic vocalization intermediate between speech and song.More example sentences
- The vocal parts are treated according to three alternating styles: song, spoken voice, and a sort of intermediate Sprechgesang, which mingle easily.
- The solo part for this cycle of 21 songs to poems by Giraud (translated into German) is notated in approximate pitches (known as Sprechgesang or Sprechstimme).
- In the music of Alban Berg, the progression from speech, through speech-melody (Sprechgesang) to singing, and back again becomes an essential part of the structure.
German, literally 'speech song'.
More definitions of SprechgesangDefinition of Sprechgesang in:
- The US English dictionary