- A herbaceous plant or shrub with distinctive yellow five-petalled flowers and paired oval leaves.
More example sentences
- Genus Hypericum, family Guttiferae: many species
- Marie-Ange began by lighting the candle, which was a hollow tube infused with honey and herbs including sage, St John's wort and camomile, which are believed to have medicinal and healing properties.
- Psychiatrist Dr David Wheatley has published two independent clinical trials which shows that 60% of patients with mild to moderate depression respond to St John's wort.
- Products such as St John's wort may act as a mild monoamine oxidase inhibitor or as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
so named because some species come into flower near the feast day of St John the Baptist (24 June).
More definitions of St John's wortDefinition of St John's wort in:
- The US English dictionary