A herbaceous plant or shrub with distinctive yellow five-petalled flowers and paired oval leaves.
- Genus Hypericum, family Guttiferae: many species
More example sentences
- Marie-Ange began by lighting the candle, which was a hollow tube infused with honey and herbs including sage, St John's wort and camomile, which are believed to have medicinal and healing properties.
- Psychiatrist Dr David Wheatley has published two independent clinical trials which shows that 60% of patients with mild to moderate depression respond to St John's wort.
- Products such as St John's wort may act as a mild monoamine oxidase inhibitor or as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
so named because some species come into flower near the feast day of St John the Baptist (24 June).
Definition of St John's wort in:
- The US English dictionary