noun[mass noun] • trademark
- A kind of strong rich cheese, often with blue veins, originally made at various places in Leicestershire.More example sentences
- Deciding to go for a niche market and make a blue cheese, they tried to replicate the sort of cheeses that were then being imported into Ireland, such as Stilton or Danish blue.
- More than 30 British foods have already been granted special status, including Cornish clotted cream and Stilton cheese.
- The unidentifiable objects mouldering in the fridge were successively replaced by jars of pickled onions, Cheddar cheese and Stilton.
so named because it was formerly sold to travellers at a coaching inn in Stilton (now in Cambridgeshire).
More definitions of StiltonDefinition of Stilton in:
- The US English dictionary