Definition of Strepsiptera in English:
An order of minute parasitic insects which comprises the stylops.
- The order Strepsiptera are obligate endoparasitic insects that are known to parasitize seven insect orders, including solitary and social Hymenoptera.
- Cases that have been studied in this way include the putative attraction of Diptera and Strepsiptera and of mammals and birds and basal relationships of carabid beetles and of yucca moths.
- Of the orders recorded with certainty for the first time from Tertiary beds, the Strepsiptera and Siphonaptera may have been relatively late developments, but the others were probably more ancient.
strepsipteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- It's also worth noting that strepsipterans have a unique eye design which is closer to that of a trilobite's than to any other insect's.
- These parasitoids, the strepsipteran Elenchus koebelei and the dryinid Pseudogonatopus arizonicus were found in only 8.3% and 0.03%, respectively, of hosts sampled.
- The first instar strepsipteran larvae, which are the infective stage, were collected as they emerged live from adult female X. vesparum parasitic within stylopized wasps that had overwintered (from the same area).
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek strepsi- (combining form of strephein 'to turn') + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Strepsiptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.