Definition of Sufi in English:
noun (plural Sufis)
A Muslim ascetic and mystic.
- Muslims are now divided into Sunnis, several types of Shi'ites (including Ismaeli), and Sufis.
- A few Sufis, Mystics and Muslim intelligentsia have come out with interpretations of some verses of the Quran supporting the evolution in life.
- However the quotation has been very influential among some Muslims, particularly Sufis.
- Example sentences
- It is an irony of Islamic history that the challenge to a Sufic emperor came from the wombs of Sufism.
- This collection of Indus River Music from the Sufic tradition of Sindh ranges from passionate to soulful.
- He turned to the life of a wandering ascetic, seeking religious reality in the practice of Sufic mysticism.
Mid 17th century: from Arabic ṣūfī, perhaps from ṣūf 'wool' (referring to the woollen garment worn).
Words that rhyme with SufiDufy, goofy
Definition of Sufi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.