Definition of Sufi in English:
noun (plural Sufis)
A Muslim ascetic and mystic.
- Muslims are now divided into Sunnis, several types of Shi'ites (including Ismaeli), and Sufis.
- A few Sufis, Mystics and Muslim intelligentsia have come out with interpretations of some verses of the Quran supporting the evolution in life.
- However the quotation has been very influential among some Muslims, particularly Sufis.
mid 17th century: from Arabic ṣūfī, perhaps from ṣūf 'wool' (referring to the woollen garment worn).
- Example sentences
- It is an irony of Islamic history that the challenge to a Sufic emperor came from the wombs of Sufism.
- This collection of Indus River Music from the Sufic tradition of Sindh ranges from passionate to soulful.
- He turned to the life of a wandering ascetic, seeking religious reality in the practice of Sufic mysticism.
Definition of Sufi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia