- The mystical system of the Sufis.More example sentences
- It is a popular and accepted practice in traditional Islam, which is strongly influenced by Sufism, but would be frowned upon by modernist Muslims.
- She spends a full chapter describing Sufism, the Islamic mystical tradition, to show it as an attractive Muslim alternative to today's extremism.
- Mainstream contemporary Muslims do not accept Sufism as an Islamic thought and its interpretation of Koran is not considered acceptable by the orthodox Muslims.
Sufism is the esoteric dimension of the Islamic faith, the spiritual path to mystical union with God. A reaction against the strict formality of orthodox teaching, it reached its peak in the 13th century. There are many Sufi orders, the best known being the dervishes of Turkey
More definitions of SufismDefinition of Sufism in:
- The US English dictionary