noun (plural same)
- 1A member of a West African people of NW Sierra Leone and the southern coast of Guinea.More example sentences
- Over the next two centuries, the Susu gained control of the coast by building a series of small states based on clan and town affiliation.
- The third largest group, the Susu, are concentrated in the west and along the coast in the areas around Conakry.
- This small country includes the homelands of 20 African peoples, including the Mende, Lokko, Temne, Limba, Susu, Yalunka, Sherbro, Bullom, Krim, Koranko, Kono, Vai, Kissi, Gola, and Fula, the latter having the largest numbers.
- 2The language of the Susu, which belongs to the Mande group and has about 700,000 speakers.More example sentences
- In these days, it was typical to see even obscure languages like Vai and Susu and Kpelle treated as sources for this word or that feature.
- In Conakry, Susu is most commonly spoken on the streets and in the marketplaces, although in certain sectors Peul is more common.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Susu or their language.More example sentences
- The Susu ethnic group accounts for 20 percent of the population; the Peul, 34 percent; and the Maninka, 33 percent.
the name in Susu.
More definitions of SusuDefinition of Susu in:
- The US English dictionary