(also fissure of Sylvius)
- A large diagonal fissure on the lateral surface of the brain which separates off the temporal lobe.More example sentences
- If a cut is made into the depth of the Sylvian fissure, dividing the brain in two, a complex series of structures is revealed on the inner surface of the hemisphere.
- In each instance this artery proceeded laterally in the Sylvian fissure to share a part of the territory of supply of the middle cerebral artery, i.e., the lateral part of the orbital surface of the frontal lobe.
- This region surrounds the posterior limit of the Sylvian fissures and extends inferiorly into the lateral temporal lobes.
mid 19th century: named after François de la Boë Sylvius (1614–72), Flemish anatomist.
More definitions of Sylvian fissureDefinition of Sylvian fissure in:
- The US English dictionary