Definition of Tammany in English:
- Running for re-election in 1997 at a flush fiscal moment, he handed out subsidies to an array of interest groups that left him looking more like a Tammany pol than a municipal reformer.
- They'll also, in somewhat lesser Tammany fashion, feed you.
- The story of New South Wales Labor MP's torrid time on the turps - and the New South Wales Liberal leader's expulsion from Parliament by the Tammany boys for stating the truth - has made international papers.
- Example sentences
- When he turned, the noseless Tammanyite spat three times in his face and challenged him.
- Least cooperative, he once recalled, was a Tammanyite who for a year paid $300 a month for home treatments, had a hangover every time he came to the house, never let him in.
- The best scene in the film for me showed in one take this panorama: Irish coming off the boat, being pelted with rocks by native gangs, taken aside by Tammanyites and handed bread and a reminder to vote.
Named after an American Indian chief of the late 17th century, said to have welcomed William Penn, and regarded as ‘patron saint’ of Pennsylvania and other northern colonies.
Words that rhyme with TammanyChamonix, salmony, scammony
Definition of Tammany in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.