Definition of Thembu in English:
noun (plural same or Thembus)
A member of a Xhosa-speaking people originating in present-day KwaZulu-Natal and now living in the Transkei.
- All Thembus were free to come - and a great many did, on horseback or on foot.
- The last Paramount Chief of the Tembus, Jongolizwe Mtirara, died in July 1928, four months before Sabata Dalindyebo was born.
- The king of the Tembus was told by a high court judge here yesterday that he would be treated like anyone else facing charges, regardless of who he was.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Thembu.
- There she studied Thembu traditions, developed a passion for beadwork, and collected and annotated local costumes that demonstrate how minutely beadwork mapped social identity within this Xhosa-speaking community.
- Broster's work provides detailed evidence of how status could be read from dress in Thembu society.
- Sheep-shearing was also often done by migrant Mfengu and Thembu men.
from Xhosa umThembu.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan