- Mother of God (used in the Eastern Orthodox Church as a title of the Virgin Mary): the love poured into the Theotokos to enable her to love so fully in her turnMore example sentences
- Make an image of Christ and of his mother, the Theotokos, and let that be enough.
- At the third ecumenical council in Ephesus in the year 431, there was a big controversy over whether Mary should get the title Theotokos or Christotokos.
- They also diminish the unique dignity of the Theotokos.
from ecclesiastical Greek, from theos 'god' + -tokos 'bringing forth'.
More definitions of TheotokosDefinition of Theotokos in:
- The US English dictionary