Definition of Thermidor in English:
The eleventh month of the French Republican calendar (1793–1805), originally running from 19 July to 17 August.
- On the ‘ninth and tenth Thermidor of the sixth year of the First French Republic’ - 27-28 July, 1798 that is - the first fruits of Napoleon's plunder from Italy reached Paris.
- With the 9th of Thermidor, the machinery of the Jacobin republic was dismantled.
- Ironically, perhaps, the last collective act of the clubs was to celebrate the anniversary of 9-10 Thermidor.
- Example sentences
- It appealed to lower class Protestants because of its appeal to defend the ‘Protestant Ascendancy’ against the challenge of Republicanism (itself having given way to Thermidorian reaction in France) and Catholicism.
- The ‘sexual revolution’ has already degenerated into a Thermidorian reaction, and what was hoped would be liberation has merely reinvented the old authoritarianism.
- Instead, Lajer-Burcharth highlights the interaction of David's art and certain psychocultural aspects of Thermidorian society shaken by the Terror.
Definition of Thermidor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan