- A province of Ethiopia, in the north of the country, bordering Eritrea; capital, Mekele. An ancient kingdom, Tigray was annexed as a province of Ethiopia in 1855. It engaged in a bitter guerrilla war against the government of Ethiopia 1975–91, during which time the region suffered badly from drought and famine.
Tigrayan (also Tigrean)
- More example sentences
- In the company of his Tigrayan guide, he walked with ascetic gunmen, mountain-minded priests, starving shepherds and mule men.
- Among the typical Tigreans, little exists in the way of arts and crafts, except for weaving coarse grass mats.
- In 1991, a group of insurgents led by Eritreans and Tigreans overthrew the Mariam regime.
More definitions of TigrayDefinition of Tigray in:
- The US English dictionary