Definition of Tito in English:
( 1892–1980), Yugoslav Marshal and statesman, Prime Minister 1945–53 and President 1953–80; born Josip Broz. He organized a Communist resistance movement against the German invasion of Yugoslavia (1941). He became head of the new government at the end of the war, establishing Yugoslavia as a non-aligned Communist state with a federal constitution.
- Example sentences
- More than any other Balkan filmmaker, Zilnik's feature films and documentaries, with all their limitations, represent an attempt to archive the experiences undergone by the people of the Balkan region since the break-up of Titoism.
- We see no signs of incipient Titoism; we see much that makes it most unlikely in the foreseeable future.
- This seems to be the point at which Kusturica's unresolved questions about Titoism begin to find artistic expression.
Titoist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- These and other arrests and executions in the people's democracies were occasioned by the defection of Tito's Yugoslavia in 1948; potential ‘Titoists ' elsewhere were liquidated as a precaution.
- A fierce Stalinist, he broke with his erstwhile comrade Tito, ordering the execution of all his opponents and those identified as ‘Titoists’ in 1948.
- The first explosion shook Kosovo's capital, Pristina, at a little after 8 pm on 24 March, a mile from the Titoist concrete tower of the Grand Hotel that dominates the city centre.
Words that rhyme with TitoBenito, bonito, burrito, coquito, graffito, Hirohito, incognito, Ito, magneto, Miskito, mosquito, Quito, veto
Definition of Tito in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan