noun (plural same or Tivs)
- 1A member of a people of SE Nigeria.More example sentences
- The military intervention is being carried out in the name of restoring peace in the face of inter-tribal clashes between members of the Hausa-Fulani and Tivs.
- They had been sent to quell violence between two local tribes, the Tivs and Jukuns, and the army blames Tiv militias for their deaths.
- He noted a similar combination of mental processes among the Tiv.
- 2 [mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Tiv, with about 1.5 million speakers.More example sentences
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Tiv or their language.More example sentences
- Another example, probably by the same hand, was published recently with a Benue Valley / Tiv attribution.
- The massacres sparked violent outbreaks in the Benue state capital, Makurdi, where angry Tiv students from two universities rampaged through the streets Wednesday, armed with sticks, knives and iron bars.
- Unconfirmed reports suggest that Tiv militias are carrying out massacres.
the name in Tiv.
More definitions of TivDefinition of Tiv in:
- The US English dictionary