noun (plural Tommies)• informal
- 1A British private soldier.[pet form of the given name Thomas; from a use of the name Thomas Atkins in specimens of completed official forms in the British army during the 19th century]More example sentences
- The Tommies, the British soldiers, they would sing to the melody of ‘Auld Lang Syne.’
- Thousands of British Tommies passed through on their way from or to the frontline.
- The time is ripe over here for a revival of the song the British Tommies liked to sing on the way to the trenches.
More definitions of TommyDefinition of Tommy in:
- The US English dictionary