- A system of land title registration, adopted originally in Australia and later in some states of the US and Malaysia.More example sentences
- So that Sealark has a form of legal title because the Federal Court's order gave it the title to the assets and the Corporations Law itself gave it the title to the assets, but it was not a title by registration under the Torrens system.
- There would be a further question that I think the Chief Justice flagged in that South Australian case it did not have to come to, namely, the effect of the Torrens system registration on the Pigot doctrine.
- Would that be done in Western Australia under the Torrens system?
mid 19th century: named after Sir Robert Torrens (1814–84), third Premier of South Australia.
More definitions of Torrens systemDefinition of Torrens system in:
- The US English dictionary