Definition of Turkana in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of an East African people living between Lake Turkana and the Nile.
- But over the years, more and more Ariaal - like the Masai and the Turkana in Kenya and the Tuaregs and Bedouins elsewhere in Africa - are settling down.
- Not only does the Turkana's lifestyle provide a challenge for health care, but the region's poor roads and bridges also hamper healthcare delivery.
- For the Turkana, the beneficent god Akuj is white and luminous, whereas the bad spirit called Ekipe is black or red.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Turkana or their language.
- In recent decades, Turkana women have progressively ceased to wear their traditional skin clothing, primarily because of recurrent droughts and famine in the region.
- This married woman's apron, probably dating from the 1980s, played an important part in many events of Turkana life.
- Originally used by girls as fertility dolls, Turkana dolls have been made for sale to tourists over the past few decades.
a local name.
Definition of Turkana in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan