Definition of Turkish in English:
1Relating to Turkey or to the Turks or their language.
- The Turkish language, due to Turkey's Islamic heritage, originally used Arabic script.
- I moved into the English language the way I moved along with the Turkish language.
- Well, I think the role of Turkey and the Turkish government is fascinating.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The official language of Turkey, a Turkic language spoken by about 50 million people. It was written in the Arabic script until 1928, when the Roman alphabet was adopted.
- He was in his early forties, and not uncultured; he spoke French and Turkish as well as Arabic.
- During the Ottoman era, Turkish was written in Arabic script, from right to left.
- Most Muslims in Australia speak Arabic, followed by Turkish, English only, Indonesian or Malay, and Urdu.
Words that rhyme with Turkishquirkish
Definition of Turkish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan