- 1Relating to Turkey or to the Turks or their language.More example sentences
- The Turkish language, due to Turkey's Islamic heritage, originally used Arabic script.
- I moved into the English language the way I moved along with the Turkish language.
- Well, I think the role of Turkey and the Turkish government is fascinating.
- 1.1 • historical Relating to or associated with the Ottoman Empire.More example sentences
- Much of the architecture in Titograd reflects the Turkish influence of the Ottoman Empire.
- The bridge, built under the Turkish Ottoman empire, was destroyed.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- The official language of Turkey, a Turkic language spoken by about 50 million people. It was written in the Arabic script until 1928, when the Roman alphabet was adopted.More example sentences
- He was in his early forties, and not uncultured; he spoke French and Turkish as well as Arabic.
- During the Ottoman era, Turkish was written in Arabic script, from right to left.
- Most Muslims in Australia speak Arabic, followed by Turkish, English only, Indonesian or Malay, and Urdu.
More definitions of TurkishDefinition of Turkish in:
- The US English dictionary