Definition of Tuscarora in English:
noun (plural same or Tuscaroras)
1An American Indian people forming part of the Iroquois confederacy, originally inhabiting the Carolinas and later New York State.
- The Tuscaroras were fleeing north from war in the Carolinas in 1722.
- During this period, the Tuscaroras were admitted as a sixth constituent nation.
- Following the Revolutionary War, the Tuscaroras acquired land for their own reservation near the present day Lewiston, New York.
2 [mass noun] The extinct Iroquoian language of the Tuscarora.
- The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.
- Everyone started calling him MGM, which eventually evolved into Gihh-rhaggs, the Tuscarora word for lion.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tuscarora or their language.
- It led the Five Nations to invite Tuscarora refugees to enter the Longhouse.
- Cusick's silence regarding the heterogeneity of his Iroquois audience-and-referent also fills the space between Five Nations and Tuscarora identity.
- Ted Williams is a writer, an artist, and an elder from the Tuscarora tribe in the Iroquois nation in New York State.
The name in Iroquoian.
Words that rhyme with Tuscaroraabhorrer, adorer, Andorra, angora, aura, aurora, bora, Bora-Bora, borer, Camorra, Cora, corer, Dora, Eleonora, Eudora, explorer, fedora, flora, fora, ignorer, Isadora, Kia-Ora, Laura, Leonora, Maura, menorah, Nora, pakora, Pandora, pourer, roarer, scorer, senhora, señora, signora, snorer, soarer, Sonora, sora, storer, Theodora, Torah, Vlorë
Definition of Tuscarora in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.