- 1A member of a people of central Russia, living mainly in Udmurtia.More example sentences
- These groups speak languages that are related to modern Finnish and/or Hungarian and include the Karelians, Komi, Maris, Mordvins, and Udmurts.
- The word n'an’ is simply the Persian word nan ‘bread’; the Udmurts learned of flour from Persians.
- In the Russian sources of the 14th - early 19th centuries Udmurts are mentioned under the name votyaki.
- 2 [mass noun] The Finno-Ugric language of the Udmurts, with about 500,000 speakers. Formerly called Votyak.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting the Udmurts or their language.More example sentences
- In the Udmurt language, pel’ means ‘ear’ and n'an’ means anything made from flour: flour, dough, bread, etc.
- Furthermore, one ethnic Udmurt teacher of English maintained that her English was stronger than her Udmurt.
- ` What you have in your heart is what you actually are ’, said the Udmurt wise men of old.