- A member of a Muslim dynasty that ruled the Islamic world from ad 660 (or 661) to 750 and Moorish Spain 756–1031. The dynasty claimed descent from Umayya, a distant relative of Muhammad.More example sentences
- Later Muslim historians accused the Umayyads of transforming the Islamic state into an Arab kingdom.
- Honest and pious Muslims opposed to Umayyads usurping power were severely persecuted.
- The one surviving member of the Umayyads fled to Spain where he continued to claim to be caliph at Cordoba.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Umayyad dynasty.More example sentences
- The example of Caliph Abdul Aziz from Umayyad dynasty is well known.
- The Zaydis favored Zayd ibn Ali, grandson of Husayn, as fifth imam due to his activist revolutionary position against the Umayyad dynasty.
- The black, white and green bands represent the Arab Abbasid, Umayyad and Fatimid dynasties respectively, while the crimson triangle joining the bands represents the Hashemite dynasty.
More definitions of UmayyadDefinition of Umayyad in:
- The US English dictionary