- Each of a series of Hindu sacred treatises written in Sanskrit circa 800–200 bc, expounding the Vedas in predominantly mystical and monistic terms.More example sentences
- I was seated next to a highly educated and enlightened Christian priest who was an authority on Hindu scriptures, Upanishads and Sanskrit.
- Every child is an ambassador in the making if only he will bear witness in deeds of daily living to the teaching of the Bhagavad Gita, the Upanishads and the Ramayana.
- Little or no reference is made by anyone to the Vedas as the source of Hinduism, or the Upanishads or even the Mahabharata, except for the Bhagavad Gita.
from Sanskrit, literally 'sitting near (i.e. at the feet of a master)', from upa 'near' + ni-ṣad 'sit down'.
More definitions of UpanishadDefinition of Upanishad in:
- The US English dictionary