- An order of amphibians that comprises the newts and salamanders, which retain the tail as adults. Also called Caudata.More example sentences
- There are more than 4,000 species of modern amphibians in three orders; in addition to the Anura, the Urodela (salamanders and newts) and Gymnophiona (caecilians - worm-like, with no limbs).
- They include all the members of the order Urodela, including the newts (family Salamandridae).
- Middle Jurassic salamanders are more primitive than members of the modern families, but unequivocally belong to the Urodela.
modern Latin (plural), from uro-2 'tail' + Greek dēlos 'evident'.
More definitions of UrodelaDefinition of Urodela in:
- The US English dictionary