Definition of Uto-Aztecan in English:
Relating to or denoting a language family of Central America and western North America including Nahuatl (the language of the Aztecs), Shoshone, and Paiute.
- The three main Paiute groups spoke mutually unintelligible languages of the Numic branch of the Uto-Aztecan language family.
- As a result, they have been lumped together under a classification the Spaniards referred to as Cahita, which is closely linked to the Uto-Aztecan language.
- The Uto-Aztecan language Huichol, for example, deploys different sets of switch-reference markers to encode different tenses.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The Uto-Aztecan language family.
- Uto-Aztecan is one of the largest language families of North and Central America in terms of population, linguistic diversity and geographic distribution.
- The party exchanges gifts with the local inhabitants, who speak Uto-Aztecan, and leaves the next morning.
- Most Hopi speak Uto-Aztecan.
Definition of Uto-Aztecan in:
- US English dictionary