- Each of Odin’s twelve handmaids who conducted the slain warriors of their choice from the battlefield to Valhalla.More example sentences
- It was believed that when a Viking died in battle, a warrior maiden called a Valkyrie escorted him to Valhalla.
- Brynhild, a Valkyrie, disobeyed Odin and was put to sleep until she would be woken by a man.
- Perhaps the most widely known of legendary women warriors are the Greek Amazons and the Nordic Valkyries.
from Old Norse Valkyrja, literally 'chooser of the slain', from valr 'the slain' + kyrja 'chooser'.
More definitions of ValkyrieDefinition of Valkyrie in:
- The US English dictionary