- The action of attempting to exhale with the nostrils and mouth, or the glottis, closed. This increases pressure in the middle ear and the chest, as when bracing to lift heavy objects, and is used as a means of equalizing pressure in the ears.More example sentences
- Finally, the examiner should ask the patient to stand, sit, squat and perform Valsalva's maneuvers to be sure that the device will not become dislodged.
- When performing strengthening exercises, patients should be instructed not to perform the Valsalva maneuver during the activity, as this can cause hypotension.
- We tried some Valsalva manoeuvres, followed by carotid sinus massage, each with no effect.
late 19th century: named after Antonio M. Valsalva (1666–1723), Italian anatomist.
More definitions of Valsalva manoeuvreDefinition of Valsalva manoeuvre in:
- The US English dictionary