- 2 (also Vandyke beard) A neat, pointed beard: with his moustache and Vandyke he is practically unrecognizableMore example sentences
- He had a mustache and a Vandyke beard, and he often wore a high collar with a plain white bow tie.
- He sports a Vandyke beard and flashes a mischievous grin that gives him the look of a swashbuckler, though he's more adept with a torque wrench than a rapier.
- His long, flowing locks framed a handsome face, and his neatly trimmed Vandyke beard and mustache were familiar from the image on many coins and from portraits.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- Denoting a style of garment or decorative design associated with the portraits of Van Dyck: a Vandyke handkerchiefMore example sentences
- Lady Charlotte sat for the artist-wearing a Vandyke dress of white satin.
- The Little Lord Fauntleroy consisted of a velvet jacket and matching knickerbockers with contrasting trim and a Vandyke collar and cuffs.
More definitions of VandykeDefinition of Vandyke in:
- The US English dictionary