- another term for Hercynian.More example sentences
- Throughout the Sudetes, and perhaps the Variscan belt, Early Palaeozoic granitic magmatism caused deformation, possibly on a batholithic scale.
- The sandstones deposited differ from all the earlier sandstones in that they contain low-grade metamorphic debris derived from the Variscan orogenic belt.
- The northern part of the Iberian Variscan belt forms the central zone of the Ibero-Armorican arc, an arched belt of several stacked thrust units.
early 20th century: from Latin Varisci (the name of a Germanic tribe) + -an.
More definitions of VariscanDefinition of Variscan in:
- The US English dictionary