- Any of the four collections forming the earliest body of Indian scripture, consisting of the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda, and Atharva Veda, which codified the ideas and practices of Vedic religion and laid down the basis of classical Hinduism. They were probably composed between 1500 and 700 bc, and contain hymns, philosophy, and guidance on ritual.More example sentences
- The Sama Veda differs from other Vedas in that it is chanted with some melody.
- The Samhitas are the most ancient part of the Vedas, consisting of hymns of praise to God.
- Shankara was a Vedanta scholar, who had mastered the Vedas and the Upanishads at an early age.
Sanskrit, literally '(sacred) knowledge'.
More definitions of VedaDefinition of Veda in:
- The US English dictionary