(also Vendémiaire /vɑ̃demjɛʀ/)
- The first month of the French Republican calendar (1793–1805), originally running from 22 September to 21 October.More example sentences
- This system also had new names for the months - Vendemiaire for September, Fructidor for August - and lasted until Napoleon re-established the Gregorian Calendar in 1806.
- By the law of 16 Vendemiaire, Year 2 of the Republic it was laid down that the weight of the new currency should be defined in terms of the kilogram (initially one hundredth).
- Out went the old months - January to December - and in came Vendémiaire, Brumaire, Frimaire, Nivôse, Pluviôse, Ventôse, Germinal, Floréal, Prairial, Messidor, Thermidor and Fructidor.
French, from Latin vindemia 'vintage'.
More definitions of VendemiaireDefinition of Vendemiaire in:
- The US English dictionary