Definition of Venetian in English:
Relating to Venice or its people: a Venetian painter of the Renaissance
More example sentences
- So this little wax portrait of the greatest Venetian painter and his son is a heartbreaking document.
- But a major development in the 18th century was the internationalization of the patronage of Venetian painters.
- The Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio pictured Saint Augustine seated at a table in a roomy study, pausing, his pen raised from the paper.
nounBack to top
1A native or citizen of Venice.
- The harbourmaster should then lead the convoy up to Richmond, where the Venetians will moor up by Richmond Bridge Boathouse at 4pm.
- Grotius' treatise started a war of words, to which the Portuguese, the French, the English, the Spanish and even the Venetians all contributed.
- Francesco's attempt on Vicenza, a Venetian client state, gave the Venetians a pretext to invade in 1404.
Definition of Venetian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan