Definition of Verdelho in English:
noun (plural Verdelhos)
1A white grape originally grown in Madeira, now also in Portugal, Sicily, Australia, and South Africa.
- In our analyses all the plants showed unique genetic profiles with the exception to the Verdelhos that showed the same genotype.
- The section between Valhelhas and Verdelhos has sadly been decimated by a recent forest fire.
- Sercial and Verdelho are the two grapes associated with Madeira's dry style.
1.1 [mass noun] A medium Madeira made from the Verdelho grape.
- The white Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia varieties which are classified as ‘noble’ by the ruling Madeira Wine Institute are in short supply.
- Most Australian Verdelhos are best consumed within two years of vintage.
- Margan Verdelho was honoured as the third best Australian Verdelho in the AGT Wine Magazines Top 20 Verdelhos, 2002.
Definition of Verdelho in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan