noun[mass noun] Sociology
- Empathic understanding of human behaviour: a methodological framework founded upon the principles of VerstehenMore example sentences
- This position can itself be viewed as the product of the confluence of three related stances: Weber's notion of Verstehen; symbolic interactionism; and phenomenology.
- The social sciences are only based on a method called Verstehen (or what he calls conception).
- The effect that this shared commitment to Verstehen had on the sorts of social theory they applied is profound.
German, literally 'understanding'.
More definitions of VerstehenDefinition of Verstehen in:
- The US English dictionary