- (1901–66), South African statesman, Prime Minister 1958–66; full name Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd. As Minister of Bantu Affairs (1950-8) he developed the segregation policy of apartheid. As Premier he banned the ANC and the Pan-Africanist Congress in 1960, following the Sharpeville massacre. He withdrew South Africa from the Commonwealth and declared it a republic in 1961.
- More example sentences
- The Verwoerdian nightmare of ‘separate development’ was built on such absurd assumptions.
- The real restriction is the hold the Verwoerdian fiction still has, that there are white areas in SA.
- He believed in non-violence and defied the Verwoerdian administration with protest actions such as passbook-burning.
More definitions of Verwoerd, HendrikDefinition of Verwoerd, Hendrik in:
- The US English dictionary