- 1 • historical A member of one of the groups of Dutch-speaking people who migrated by wagon from the Cape Colony into the interior from 1836 onwards, in order to live beyond the borders of British rule.More example sentences
- On the 15th December 1838, 500 Voortrekkers formed their 64 wagons into a laager close to the bank of the Ncone River.
- The Voortrekkers had headed north away from the Cape Colony to escape British control.
- The South Hall houses animal-drawn vehicles, including Voortrekker wagons and some ox-wagons.
Afrikaans, from Dutch voor 'fore' + trekken 'to travel'.
More definitions of VoortrekkerDefinition of Voortrekker in:
- The US English dictionary