Definition of Vorticist in English:
A member of a British artistic movement of 1914–15 influenced by cubism and futurism and favouring machine-like forms.
- The Vorticists demanded that the artist should celebrate the dynamic spirit of the modern machine age, while recognizing, unlike the Futurists, the darker side of the industrial world.
- Cravan's activity, in fact, seems to bear within it the seeds of a number of movements, including the Dadaists, Futurists and Vorticists.
- The Vorticists held only one exhibition, at the Doré Gallery, London, in June 1915.
- Example sentences
- Working as an official Canadian war artist in both World Wars, Lewis developed Vorticism along more humanistic lines although his compositions remained jagged and his linearity exaggerated.
- Their work was heavily influenced by Italian Futurism and the uniquely British Vorticism, hence these dynamic abstracted scenes of sport and industry.
- In 1919 he founded Group X as an attempt to revive Vorticism, but this failed, and from the late 1920s he devoted himself mainly to writing, in which he often made savage attacks on his contemporaries (particularly the Bloomsbury Group).
Definition of Vorticist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan