noun[often as modifier]
- A person who fantasizes about a life much more exciting and glamorous than their own: my client is very much a Walter Mitty characterMore example sentences
- Did this man whose entire life has been spent as an office worker in dull and colorless businesses in rural Pennsylvania just suddenly have a Walter Mitty fantasy that happened to come true?
- John Brown is an out-and-out liar for all the reasons that I see printed in comments before mine, which came to mind as I read this Walter Mitty fantasy.
- Was he a good man or was he a Walter Mitty fantasist?
the hero of the story The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (by James Thurber, 1939), who indulged in extravagant daydreams of his own triumphs.
More definitions of Walter MittyDefinition of Walter Mitty in:
- The US English dictionary