noun (plural Wanderjahre /-rə/)chiefly North American
- A year spent travelling abroad, typically immediately before or after a university or college course.More example sentences
- Rigorous and lengthy clinical training replaced the short courses, European Wanderjahre, and apprenticeships of antebellum America.
- After graduating from Earlham College in Richmond, Ind., in 1997, Overbeck embarked on a yearlong Wanderjahr throughout Southeast Asia studying the golf course industry with a grant from the Thomas J. Watson Foundation.
- His obsession with the Holocaust since boyhood led him to a city that would wake him up, and he likens his self-imposed Wanderjahre to having ‘a bucket of cold water thrown at your face every morning.’
late 19th century: German, literally 'wander year'.
More definitions of WanderjahrDefinition of Wanderjahr in:
- The US English dictionary