noun (plural Wandervögel /-fəːgəl, -føːgl/)
- A member of a German youth organization founded at the end of the 19th century for the promotion of outdoor activities and folk culture.More example sentences
- In its early years it was identified with the German youth movement (Wandervogel), through such contemporary composers as Hugo Distler, and with the associated rediscovery of early music.
- The Nazis also absorbed the German Youth Movement, the Wandervogel, which talked of our mystical relationship with the earth.
- The ‘Wandervogel’ youth groups were the guitar-playing nature-loving members of the inter-war counter-culture and forerunners of the Hitler Youth.
German, literally 'bird of passage'.
More definitions of WandervogelDefinition of Wandervogel in:
- The US English dictionary