- An Asian onion that forms clusters of slender bulbs which resemble salad (spring) onions. It is the onion most commonly used in SE Asia.
More example sentences
- Allium fistulosum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- They've got some unusual things growing there - Welsh onions are a perennial onion which grows in clumps.
- In the cold frame outside the beans, peas Welsh onions and sweet peas are also doing well, and I'm now leaving the lid open all the time.
- Sunday was a quieter day, garden-wise, but I did manage to pot up my 5 sweetcorn plants and I also planted up my strawberry tower with 11 petunias, 5 basil, 4 carrots and 4 Welsh onions.
early 18th century (as Welch onion): Welsh from German welsch 'foreign'.