- 1 [mass noun] A type of white cheese with a crumbly texture.More example sentences
- Blue Wensleydale is unusually firm in texture for a blue cheese.
- Stilton or a very mature Cheddar have enough of a tang to be interesting, Caerphilly or Wensleydale slightly less so.
- There are lots of modest veggie dishes that I prepare for lunch or dinner, such as stuffed pepper with couscous, mushroom and coriander or a lump of Wensleydale on toast.
- 2A sheep of a breed with long wool.More example sentences
- Topping the sheep lines was the Wensleydale, entered by Jack Watkinson, of Hutton Ghyll, near Leyburn.
- She now has more than 80 sheep, including Wensleydales, Romneys, New Zealand Corriedale, Corriedale-cross-Shetland, LLanwenog from the Welsh borders and Jacob-cross-Polworth, from Scotland.
- Sally has been organically farming the fine wool from Wensleydales in Stoodleigh, Devon, for 11 years and now has the largest flock in the world.
named after Wensleydale in Yorkshire.
More definitions of WensleydaleDefinition of Wensleydale in:
- The US English dictionary