- The systematic pursuit of knowledge, learning, and scholarship (especially as contrasted with its application).More example sentences
- In its place Berlin stressed two quite different but interrelated enterprises: orderly, disciplined critical research, or Wissenschaft, and professional education.
- As a biblical scholar, I found that Morgan's treatments of the wisdom tradition moved mostly at the meta-critical level - largely dependent on Wissenschaft and its questions and assumptions about wisdom, literature and the sages.
- One outcome of these discoveries was the breakup of the old hierarchy of the disciplines, which had been based on judgments about the degree to which a discipline exhibited the logic of well-formed Wissenschaft.
German, literally 'knowledge'.
More definitions of WissenschaftDefinition of Wissenschaft in:
- The US English dictionary