Definition of Wolof in English:
noun (plural same or Wolofs)
1A member of a people living in Senegal and Gambia.
- According to these stories, Sao Tiago was inhabited by Wolofs, natives of Senegal and Gambia, both west African coastal nations; and that Sal was inhabited by Lebu, Serer, the Felup.
- The author of the piece also mentions the tensions between Casamance's separatist Diola faction and the Wolofs, whose majority population sees them controlling most of the government.
- Essentially, the country is divided between the northern Arabic-speaking peoples and several southern groups, mainly Wolofs and Peuls.
2 [mass noun] The Niger-Congo language of the Wolof, which has about 2 million speakers.
- News is broadcast in English and the major Gambian languages (Mandinka, Wolof, Fula, Jola, and Serahuli).
- I mean, there I was, 6,000 or 7,000 miles from all my friends, all my family, in a place where I didn't speak either French or Wolof very well, the two principal languages spoken in Senegal.
- Including second-language speakers, some 7 million people worldwide speak Wolof.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Wolof or their language.
- Modern griot ‘rap’ performed in the Wolof language tells stories about society, much like ancient griots narrated the lives of ancient kings.
- The national dish of Senegal is Thieboudienne or Chep-bu-jen, meaning fish and rice in the Wolof language, usually served with vegetables.
- Their ingenious and incendiary melange of African-American rap, Senegalese sabar drums, griot traditions and Wolof language with a French twist could be characterized as Public Enemy meets Les Nubians.
The name in Wolof.
Words that rhyme with WolofKirchhoff • Karloff • spin-off
Definition of Wolof in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan