Definition of Wolof in English:
noun (plural same or Wolofs)
1A member of a people living in Senegal and Gambia.
- According to these stories, Sao Tiago was inhabited by Wolofs, natives of Senegal and Gambia, both west African coastal nations; and that Sal was inhabited by Lebu, Serer, the Felup.
- The author of the piece also mentions the tensions between Casamance's separatist Diola faction and the Wolofs, whose majority population sees them controlling most of the government.
- Essentially, the country is divided between the northern Arabic-speaking peoples and several southern groups, mainly Wolofs and Peuls.
2 [mass noun] The Niger-Congo language of the Wolof, which has about 2 million speakers.
- News is broadcast in English and the major Gambian languages (Mandinka, Wolof, Fula, Jola, and Serahuli).
- I mean, there I was, 6,000 or 7,000 miles from all my friends, all my family, in a place where I didn't speak either French or Wolof very well, the two principal languages spoken in Senegal.
- Including second-language speakers, some 7 million people worldwide speak Wolof.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Wolof or their language.
- Modern griot ‘rap’ performed in the Wolof language tells stories about society, much like ancient griots narrated the lives of ancient kings.
- The national dish of Senegal is Thieboudienne or Chep-bu-jen, meaning fish and rice in the Wolof language, usually served with vegetables.
- Their ingenious and incendiary melange of African-American rap, Senegalese sabar drums, griot traditions and Wolof language with a French twist could be characterized as Public Enemy meets Les Nubians.
The name in Wolof.
Words that rhyme with WolofKirchhoff • Karloff • spin-off
Definition of Wolof in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.