Definition of Wyandot in English:
1A member of an American Indian community formed by Huron-speaking peoples, originally in Ontario, now living mainly in Oklahoma and Quebec.
- Among the tribes represented were Delawares, Iroquois, Wyandots, Miamis, Ottawas, Pottawattamies, Creeks, Sac and Fox, Choctaw.
- An attack on an outlying settlement in January 1791 had prompted more than four years of conflict with the local Delawares and Wyandots.
- The chiefs and clan mothers of the Wyandot from Kansas, the Huron Wendat of Wendake, Que., and the Wendats from Michigan, joined the Wyandottes of Oklahoma for a ceremonial canoe trip down the Wye River.
2 [mass noun] The extinct Iroquoian language of the Wyandot.
- This is a modern reprint of John Johnston's 1820 vocabulary of Wyandot (Huron), an unfortunately extinct Iroquoian Indian language.
- These clan names are all expressed in Wyandot, words so long and hard to properly pronounce that they are omitted here.
3 (usually Wyandotte) A domestic chicken of a medium-sized American breed.
- Six laying hefts follow her everywhere - two each of the Buff Orpington, Silver-laced Wyandotte and White Leghorn breeds.
- The Plymouth Rock was developed from Cochin, Dorking, and Malay stock; the Wyandotte, a utility bird, had Cochin, Hamburgh, and Sebright bantam genes.
- In September 1945, and a five half month old Wyandotte rooster was pecking through the dust of Fruita, Colorado when its owner decided to prepare him for the pot.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Wyandot people or their language.
- The Wyandot language has no native speakers today, so these vocabulary words come from early 19th-century sources and their pronunciation is uncertain.
- If you need to know a Wyandot word that is not currently on our page, you can take part in our Indian translations fundraiser, buy a Wyandot dictionary, or visit our main Wyandot language site for more free resources.
Mid 18th century: from French Ouendat, from Huron Wendat.
Words that rhyme with Wyandotpolka dot • fylfot • mascot
Definition of Wyandot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.