Definition of Xenarthra in English:
An order of mammals that comprises the edentates. Also called Edentata.
- Let's turn to what is known about the anatomy of the feeding apparatus in Xenarthra and Pholidota.
- Unfortunately, information on the condition of feeding apparatus muscles in ant-eating taxa outside the Xenarthra and Pholidota is incomplete.
- Our results show the existence of four primary lineages of placental mammals: Xenarthra, Afrotheria, Laurasiatheria, and Euarchontoglires.
- Example sentences
- Aardvarks were once thought to be closely related to pangolins and xenarthrans.
- They are by far the most diverse group of xenarthrans, with 20 species in 8 genera.
- Several groups of xenarthrans successfully crossed the Central American land bridge to North America when it formed in the Pliocene; these included a number of kinds of ground sloths and armadillos.
Pronunciation: /zɛnˈɑːθrən/noun& adjective
Definition of Xenarthra in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan