- An order of mammals that comprises the edentates. Also called Edentata.More example sentences
- Let's turn to what is known about the anatomy of the feeding apparatus in Xenarthra and Pholidota.
- Unfortunately, information on the condition of feeding apparatus muscles in ant-eating taxa outside the Xenarthra and Pholidota is incomplete.
- Our results show the existence of four primary lineages of placental mammals: Xenarthra, Afrotheria, Laurasiatheria, and Euarchontoglires.
- More example sentences
- Aardvarks were once thought to be closely related to pangolins and xenarthrans.
- They are by far the most diverse group of xenarthrans, with 20 species in 8 genera.
- Several groups of xenarthrans successfully crossed the Central American land bridge to North America when it formed in the Pliocene; these included a number of kinds of ground sloths and armadillos.
modern Latin (plural), from xeno- 'strange' + Greek arthron 'joint' (because of the peculiar accessory articulations in the vertebrae).
More definitions of XenarthraDefinition of Xenarthra in:
- The US English dictionary