noun (plural same or Xhosas)
- 1A member of a South African people traditionally living in the province of Eastern Cape. They form the second-largest ethnic group in South Africa after the Zulus.More example sentences
- His playmates were Xhosa children and he was to retain a lifelong fluency in the language.
- We know much about the shifting value of beads in trade with the Xhosa.
- The Zulus supported the apartheid regime and are a thorn in the side of the new government, which is dominated by the Xhosas.
- 2 [mass noun] The Bantu language of the Xhosa, related to Zulu and spoken by over 7 million people.More example sentences
- To add to that she has very little or no knowledge of Zulu or Xhosa, languages which Mafikizolo uses.
- Do we have anything similar for it in English, Afrikaans, Xhosa or Zulu perhaps?
- Performed in Zulu, Afrikaans, English and Xhosa, each performer speaks in his or her native language.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Xhosa or their language.More example sentences
- Little is known about the color symbolism of Xhosa beads apart from white.
- This skirt is still worn today, in a simplified version, by some Xhosa women on ceremonial occasions.
- And I had to tell them it was on male circumcision amongst the Xhosa tribes.
from the stem of Xhosa umXhosa (plural amaXhosa).
More definitions of XhosaDefinition of Xhosa in:
- The US English dictionary