Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of Yanktonai in English:
1A Sioux people now living in the Dakotas and eastern Montana, formerly living in northern Minnesota.
- Oscar Howe, a Dakota Indian of the Yanktonais tribe, was born at Joe Creek on the Crow Creek Reservation of South Dakota to George Tikute Howe and Ella Fearless Bear.
- Badgered by the Yanktonai into warfare with Upper Assiniboine bands, Standing Buffalo was killed in 1871; a portion of his followers migrated on into Canada, while some stayed among the Assiniboine.
- Both these references would seem to apply as well to the Yanktonai as to the Yankton; it is probable that both are referred to under one general name.
1.1A member of the Yanktonai.
- Many of the plum names reflect the heritage of the Great Plains: for example, ‘Waneta,’ after a Yanktonai Sioux leader.
- Some folks up there are Yanktonais and they speak the D-dialect.
- Today Nakota is spoken almost exclusively by the Assiniboins, and most Yankton and Yanktonais speak Dakota.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.