- 1A Yiddish word or idiom, especially one adopted into another language: I speak with many Brooklynisms and an occasional YiddishismMore example sentences
- Throughout the 20c, Yiddishisms have continued to make their way into English, increasingly as slang.
- His speech was punctuated by Yiddishisms, Hebrew, Greek and Arabic.
- sense 2.More example sentences
- He was inspired by the local poets to dedicate himself to Yiddish literature, which was then gaining prestige among socialists and Yiddishists as the authentic voice of the Jewish diaspora.
- The Yiddishists continued to hope for a continuation of their Yiddish cultural dream.
- The Yiddishist turned to his friend and said: ‘I'm afraid the Zionists are right.’
More definitions of YiddishismDefinition of Yiddishism in:
- The US English dictionary